Sunday, 25 October 2015

Reflection on the History of Mathematics Curriculum

I consider this article very informative for myself, especially in terms of knowing the development of the mathematics curriculum over the last century. Although I have spent so many years learning the subject of mathematics in different educational institutions in India, I was never told by any teacher that whether I was learning math in a progressive or conservative or NCTM ways. After reading this article, I believe that I may have learned math in both ways, NCTM ways. The way I learned math demanded fluency, understanding, sense making and inquiry, assessment through the standard written exams with the expectation of right answer, and no use of technology for problem solver. The math teachers' approach I really found helpful in my entire math learning was providing reasoning behind every step you write during solving any particular math problem. During my learning experience especially before the post-secondary education, I was taught to write not only every step of the solution properly, but also the reason for going from step one to another step if required. For example, 
Y/Y(Y+1)
While simplifying the above algebraic expression, I would only cancel Y with Y if it is given that Y is not equal zero. So I would write as,
 Y/Y(Y+1) = 1/Y+1          as y ≠ 0 

 Providing reasoning almost in every step of the solution of math problem has helped me a lot in developing my overall conceptual understanding in mathematics. Personally, while tutoring in the lower mainland area, I have noticed many differences in the ways I learned any particular math topic versus the way local students in the lower mainland area are learning at this time. Having good mathematics background and passion about polishing the previous knowledge with new one, I learned many new interesting and different ways to solve any particular math problem. Furthermore, as per my interaction with students and their parents during my teaching experience, I noticed that their observation towards mathematics is usually one sided. This means that either they love the subject or they hate it. I agree with the author that people often assume the math teachers’ personality as less social, too formal and a boring person. Moreover, in India, there are so many public and private schools that have no specialized math teachers. Unfortunately, in grade 8, I had to learn a math from a teacher whose math knowledge was very limited. By the way, I am curious to know if that is the case here in BC public schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment