I decided to use a hit and trial method to find out the total number of guests in the given puzzle. I planned to come up with a number (my estimated answer) that can be evenly divided by 2, 3 and 4 such that the sum of three different dishes remains 65. Before starting to think about the possible answers, I figured out some conditions that my answer has to satisfy and those conditions are written below:
- The number of guests must be less than 65 as the total numbers of three different dishes add up to 65.
- The answer has to be evenly divisible by 2, 3 and 4 as the number of dishes won't exist in decimals.
- The sum of different dishes must add up to 65 as it is given in the statement.
Subsequently, my next aim was to find the number that can satisfies the aforementioned conditions. I started from the number 64 i.e. 64/2 = 32, 64/3 = fraction? So it won’t work.
After some attempts, I came up with the number 60 that fitted right with the aforementioned conditions.
The total numbers of dishes of rice = 60/2 = 30
The total numbers of dishes of broth = 60/3 = 20
The total numbers of dishes of meat = 60/4 = 15
The total numbers of dishes = 30 + 20 + 15 = 65
Consequently, my guessed answer satisfied all the required conditions. Therefore, there were total 60 guests in that restaurant.
Before viewing this puzzle, I never thought that no one else other than people in my culture (Indian) shares foods with other people. I used to share my dinner with my dad until I was about 25 years old. In my experience, it was just great feeling of closeness with my parents. I recently asked one of my Chinese friends about the role of food sharing in their culture. She said that they believe that sharing the food gives family members or relatives or friends an opportunity to spend some time together while enjoying the eating of food
No comments:
Post a Comment