Friday, 16 October 2015

Campbell's giant soup can puzzle

I used the concept of scale factor to solve this puzzle. As per definition, the scale factor is the ratio of length of the scale drawing to the corresponding length of actual object.

Scale factor = the height of the bike in the photo/ the height actual bike

I measured the height of my friend’s bike that looks exactly the same as in the photo. I measured the height of bike from the ground to the top point, which was the handle of the bike. It was about 44”. I then measured the height of the photo bike from top to bottom and that is 0.8”.
Scale factor = .8”/44”
Using internet, I found the dimensions of the normal size Campbell soup can. The radius of the can was 1 and 5/16 inches and height was 4 inches.
From there, since the ratio of the fire water tank are the same as the real normal size Campbell soup can, I set up the following proportion:

       .8”/44” = the radius of the real soup can/ radius of the water tank
       .8”/ 44” = 1.3125 “/ x    where x represents the radius of the water tank.
       .8/44 = 1.3125/x

After solving the above algebraic expression, x = 72.2”

As we need to find the height of the water tank, I set up another equation in order to find the height of the water tank. Suppose the height of the water tank is y.
The radius of the real soup can/ radius of the water tank = the height of the real soup can/ height of the water tank
     1.3125”/72.2” = 4”/y
Y = 220”
Therefore, the height of the actual water tank = 220”.
Hence, the height of the water tank = 220”
             The radius of the water tank = 72.2”
               The diameter of the water tank = 2 x 72.2” = 144.4”
              The circumference of the water tank = 2 x 3.14 x 72.2= 453.416”

Volume of the water tank = V=πr^2h

3.14 x 72.2 x 72.2 x 220 = 3601029.87 inches^3

The capacity of the water tank in gallons = 3601029.87/231 = 15588.873, which is about 588 gallons more than the answer. The error in answer could be in measuring the height of the actual bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment