Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Reflection on the Art Work


Although our group was assigned to make 72 pencils sculpture, I ended up making the one with 76 pencils. Initially, I thought that it would be easier to make this sculpture as all you needed was to take pencils and stand or lay them up together in a certain pattern. However, it turned out to be very difficult for me.  After giving up on the 72 pencils art, I decided to make 76 pencils sculpture as I was able to find a video showing instructions about it. Even though the instructions were available in the video, it took me about total 6 to 7 hours to build this sculpture. I noticed many positive outcomes while I was working on this project. First and foremost, this project gave me an opportunity to do some art work as I haven’t done anything in the art since last 10 years. Although I read and saw many art works showing connections between art and mathematics, it was first time when I realized that we can actually use mathematics a lot in making the art. For an example, I had to identify the pattern of pencils which were a lot in numbers. While I was working on my project, I mostly rely on the concept of parallel lines as it was the main key to build hexagonal shape after creating the basic structure of the sculpture.  Another outcome I noticed in this project was the sense of satisfaction and happiness I felt after making beautiful sculpture.  Undoubtedly, it would help visual learners in not only grasping the ideas about the geometrical shape quickly, but also in keeping them fascinated in the learning process. I already used this sculpture to teach my son about the hexagonal shape.  He showed incredible interest in knowing about the shape of this sculpture.


No comments:

Post a Comment