Saturday, 21 November 2015

Exit Slip from SNAP Math Fair


I have really enjoyed my participation in the SNAP Math Fair. To begin, I was stunned by the art work of museum of anthology. This is first time when I came to know about first nation people’s traditional art. It was amazing to see displaying of totem poles, feast dishes, thunder birds, Haida bears and canoes in the gallery of museum. This visit made me extremely interested in knowing the first nation people’s culture in depth. Consequently, I will be looking forward to visit the place where I can see more this kind of first nation people’s art in the future.
Beside this, I went at almost every station of math fair and liked my interactions with students. Two Students were presenting very interesting math problems at every station. Undoubtedly, students appeared to be very excited about their presentations. As a learner, I observed the following points:

  • Students’ welcoming skills: students were warmly welcoming everyone at their stations. Most of students started their presentations after having quick introduction with the visitors.
  • Introducing the problem: Students were introducing their problems in a very interesting way. For example, almost everyone made a little story regarding to the problem.
  • Materials: Students were also providing everyone enough material to work on the problems. Theirs organizational skills appeared to be very good.
  • Providing Tips: Tips were given at each station by every pair of students. As per my observation, some students were not giving the problem solvers enough time to work on the problem. This means that they would start giving the visitors tips few minutes after the introduction of the problem. I then advised  those students to wait for some minutes before telling them the hints. They really liked my advice. I would take it as a good learning output from this fair.
  • Rewards: I noticed one group giving rewards of dice to the winners. Notably, they were presenting the guessing game. These rewards definitely made everyone fully engaged with their problem. I noticed a few of my classmates getting excited after getting a reward of dice.
  • Motivation: I liked the way students were showing their gratitude toward every participant. I also witnessed them motivating problem solvers.
  • Discussions: I had a quick discussion about the problem with every group before moving to the next station. For example, we would discuss how we can extend this problem further or alternative ways of presenting of it etc.
  • Questionings: The only thing I observed missing at some stations is the questioning strategies.  They could have planned a few questions after the end of every problem such as what was interesting in this problem etc.
  • Mathematical engagement: I found every group fully engaging the problem solvers in their problem at their stations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment